Why Death Still Pending in Case of Missing 23-Year-Old Iñaki Bascaran Kidnapped from the Chicago River – NBC Chicago
The Cook County Coroner’s Office has yet to determine a cause or manner of death in the missing 23-year-old Iñaki Bascaran case, which was recovered from the Chicago River Friday evening.
According to the report released on Saturday afternoon, after the autopsy examination, the coroner listed both the cause and manner of death of Başcaran as “pending”.
Authorities said Bascaran was pulled from the river in the 1000 block of South Wells at around 4:53 p.m. Friday.
According to police, he was found unresponsive and pronounced dead.
According to authorities, Başcaran, a graduate of the University of Illinois, has not been heard from since the early hours of Sunday morning. Bascaran was last seen in Celeste, on the 100th block of West Hubbard, and his family says they haven’t heard from him since he left.
Bacaran’s family made statements following the news of his death and thanked the public for the love and support they showed in their search for the 23-year-old last week.
“We thank everyone for the extraordinary love, support, and tips you have shown to bring Iñaki home. We are saddened to share that divers recovered Iñaki’s body from the Chicago River tonight, Friday, near the 1100 block of S. Wells St., 5 November. Iñaki’s family said they are grateful for your support and prayers and appreciate the space to process this news.” Başcaran family said in a statement.
Bascaran’s father, José, spoke to reporters outside Celeste, a bar on the 100th block of West Hubbard, where his son went with three of his friends on Saturday evening.
“He’s a really good kid. That’s not something he would do,” said José Bascaran. “There’s a reason he’s not communicating with us.”
Inaki Bascaran’s father, Jose, speaks ahead of a search in Chicago’s River North neighborhood after his son was reported missing over the weekend.
He says his son was last seen by his friends around 11:30 pm. After sending several text messages that he failed to return to Bara, he called his roommate just after midnight to say he was with a friend. He said he had Walgreen and was coming home.
After that, his family believes his phone is dead because all the calls and text messages sent to him since then have been missed and unread.
Monday’s search focused on the alleys near the bar where he was last seen. The family also told a local law firm that they would search Lower Wacker Drive for traces of the 23-year-old.
The Cook County Coroner’s Office has yet to determine a cause or manner of death in the missing 23-year-old Iñaki Bascaran case, which was recovered from the Chicago River Friday evening. According to the report released on Saturday afternoon, after the autopsy examination, the coroner listed both the cause and manner of death of Başcaran…