A police officer from Oldbury describes recovery after M5 crash

Author: | Posted in UK No comments

A POLICE personnel from Oldbury spoke about his determination to deal with serious injuries after breaking his spine when his car crashed into the M5.

Marie Cooke-Williams was a front-seat passenger in a Peugeot 107 driven by her husband, Anthony, when another vehicle pulled her into the water near the first intersection.

The couple’s car came off the highway and went down the embankment near where the M5 became the M6.

Marie was trapped in the wreckage for an hour before being released by the emergency services.

The 36-year-old had spinal surgery and was hospitalized for 11 days and was unable to return to work as a police officer for six months.

Anthony, 37, and his mother, Angela, 60, were also injured in an accident on their way to the movies in Wolverhampton.

After the crash, the trio instructed the serious injury attorneys at Irwin Mitchell to help them access the specialist rehabilitation and therapies they needed. Legal teams secured undisclosed deals from insurers for the other driver.

Marie has now joined the legal team at Irwin Mitchell to support Road Safety Week, held November 15-21, hosted by the Brake charity.

He also thanked the emergency services that came to the rescue after the accident that occurred on November 2, 2019 at 11:00 am.

Louise Binks, attorney specializing in serious injuries representing Marie at Irwin Mitchell, said: “Marie’s physical and psychological injuries sustained in the collision had a profound effect on her life.

“While Marie has made great progress in her recovery through access to rehabilitation, she still faces many challenges.

“Road Safety Week is an important reminder of the vital work our emergency services are doing. However, it is also vital that people are aware of the consequences people may face due to the actions of other road users.

“We agree with Marie in urging all road users to always be vigilant to reduce the number of people killed or seriously injured.”

It was raining the morning of the accident in which Marie was injured, and she remembers: “Approaching the M6 ​​in the middle lane, I suddenly saw a car out of the corner of my eye.

“There wasn’t time to react or do anything before the right side of our car crashed, which prompted us to skid. It felt like the car was spinning for a long time before stopping in a ditch.

“The next thing I remember is the emergency crews shouting at us and coming down from the embankment. All I remember then is that I was trapped and surrounded by firefighters and paramedics while they were cutting the roof. It was horrible.”

Marie was taken to Sandwell Hospital, where she was diagnosed with a fracture and dislocation of her upper spine. He was transferred to Queen Elizabeth Hospital for surgery.

She added: “Leaving the hospital was just the beginning of my battle to regain my health. At home, I couldn’t take care of myself and relied on my family for everything.

“It was very difficult at first to face what happened and how life had suddenly changed. However, I’ve decided to focus on my recovery and get back to the things I enjoy. I love my job and getting back to work after six months has been a huge boost for me.

“I can’t thank everyone enough for everything they’ve done to help and support me. Although it’s been a tough few years, I want to try and focus on the future.

“But by sharing my story, I hope it reminds people why it’s so important to be careful on the road.”