Home Finance How harmful is moisture to your health?

How harmful is moisture to your health?

29
0

Moisture in your home can cause all kinds of problems, from damaging paint, wallpaper and plaster to rotting of window frames. However, did you know that dampness found in residential and commercial buildings can also cause and aggravate various health conditions? For this reason, look for any signs of damp and mold. while looking home, as well as knowing what to do if you notice it in your home is extremely important.

However, how dangerous is moisture in your home and what health problems can it cause? Read on to know the answers to these and other questions.

Is it dangerous to have moisture in the house?

The simple answer is yes – untreated moisture, which can lead to mold, can be bad for your health and therefore a potential hazard. The fact is, if you have moisture and/or mold in your home, you’re more likely to get respiratory problems and infections. Likewise, regular allergies and asthma can be made worse by untreated humidity in your home, while exposure to black mold can also directly affect the effectiveness of your immune system. However, while moisture can cause a number of health problems, there are several conditions that are particularly common and are associated with dampness and the presence of mold in the home.

Can damp cause headache?

While the humidity itself doesn’t cause headaches, if an area of ​​dampness in your home begins to develop black mold — also known as Stachybotrys chartarum — prolonged exposure to this toxic fungus can lead to sinus-related headaches. could. Regular headaches, usually accompanied by other symptoms of an allergic reaction — such as a runny nose, itchy or runny eyes, a scratchy throat, and coughing and sneezing — are common in residents of buildings invested with black mold.

It is worth noting that the mold itself does not directly cause headaches. Instead, the higher humidity levels cause the humidity to mix with the mold toxins in the air that produce spores. When inhaled, these spores can cause respiratory problems. Respiratory health conditions will be discussed in more detail later, however, a major symptom associated with a range of these problems manifests itself in the form of headaches. It is believed that this happens when mold toxins inside the body prevent it from functioning normally.

In addition to the specific respiratory problems that we are about to discuss, dampness in your home and especially the presence of black mold, sinus infections, lung infections, general nausea, chronic fatigue syndrome, lupus and even cancer It can also cause health problems like , and all of these diseases may present with headache. For this reason, it is essential that you treating damp walls And remove all black mold properly as soon as it appears in your home. And remember – visit your GP or another health care professional if you think you have become ill from exposure to moisture or mold.

Can damp cause asthma?

If moisture begins to appear in your home, it is common for mildew and fungus to grow around walls and windows if the cause of this dampness is not treated early. When this happens, exposure to the toxic spores can cause respiratory attacks in people with asthma. As the Asthma Society of Ireland explains, the average person spends 90% of their time indoors – this means if you live or work in a building where moisture and/or mold is present, and you already If you suffer from asthma, you are more likely to experience more frequent asthma attacks and more intense symptoms.

asthmatic

Although it is unusual for someone who has never suffered from asthma to develop the condition as a result of exposure to moisture and mold, it is true that black mold spores can cause asthma in people who are genetically predisposed. are particularly prone to allergies, especially in children. According to a study from the University of Western Sydney, children who are more likely to have respiratory allergies – because one or both parents also suffer from allergies – are more likely to have certain types of mold, including black mold, in their home. There is a higher risk of developing asthma. . Children, infants and toddlers, as well as elderly people and people with a wide range of existing skin conditions such as eczema, are thought to be more vulnerable than others to the risk of asthma, treating damp and mold in their home. It is absolutely necessary to prevent it, even if you and your family members have never suffered from asthma before.

Can damp cause pneumonia?

As discussed earlier, one of the major threats to your health is the increased risk of respiratory and lung infections due to moisture and mold. People who are susceptible to an allergic reaction and suffer from traditional symptoms such as sinus congestion, watery eyes, runny nose and dermatitis are more likely to be affected when mold spores are inhaled. In fact, we already know that it can cause asthma attacks, however, can it also cause pneumonia?

Well, the short answer is yes, but it is very unusual. While damp homes carry mold, which can lead to respiratory and lung infections that present with symptoms similar to pneumonia – wheezing, chest tightness and shortness of breath – the actual onset of the disease is unreliable in relation to damp and mold. is extremely rare. That being said, as recently as 2013, a woman in Ireland successfully claimed €25,000 in compensation from Kerry County Council after it was found in court that the mold in her council house was indeed a “significant contributor.” ” could act as, when combined with smoking, to the development of pneumonia. This should serve as a reminder that, although unusual in the home, moisture and mold can cause serious illness and should therefore be taken seriously, and dealt with as soon as it is detected.

$('body').addClass('social-on');

var w = $(window).width();

$(window).resize(function() { w = $(window).width(); });

if(w >= 1100) {

$(window).scroll(function() {

if(closed) {

if($(window).scrollTop() + $(window).height() > $(document).height() - 600) {

closed = false;

$('body').append( $('

').addClass('share') );

$('#social-btn').appendTo('.share');

Socialite.load('#social-btn');

$('.share').animate({bottom: '0'}, 2000);

} } });

} //else //{

//Facebook port this code to gtm // (function(d, s, id) { // var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; // if (d.getElementById(id)) return; // js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; // js.src = "http://connect.facebook.net/en_GB/all.js#xfbml=1&appId=472175116169574"; // fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); // }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk')); // }

}); .

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. The facts and opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of knews.uk and knews.uk does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.

For latest entertainment news| health news| political news| sports news| travel news| Covid-19 news| Tech news| Digital Marketing| Lyrics

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.