Large missile and nuclear power sites in North Korea.
North Korea fired a ballistic missile into the sea on Tuesday, the South Korean military said, the latest in a series of tests by analysts who said it could have been a submarine-launched weapon.
The “unidentified ballistic missile” was fired from Sinpo into the sea east of the peninsula, Seoul’s joint chiefs of staff said in a statement.
Sinpo, where the missile was fired, is a large naval shipyard and satellite photographs have previously shown submarines at the facility.
“There is a great opportunity for the North to launch an SLBM,” said Shin Beom-chul, a researcher at the Korea Research Institute for National Strategy.
It also mounted a rare weapons exhibit, showing the giant International Ballistic Missile (ICBM) unveiled at a military parade last night.
At the opening of the arms exhibition, leader Kim Jong Un – who has monitored rapid progress in Nordic military technology, at the expense of international sanctions – blamed the United States for tensions and dismissed Washington’s claims that they had no hostile intentions.
Following the launch on Tuesday, the Southern Presidency said it had called a meeting of the National Security Council.
– ‘No hostile intent’ –
It also followed an American envoy who renewed his appeal for talks.
But he added that the allies had “a responsibility to implement UN Security Council resolutions”, citing sanctions that North Korea wants to see lifted.
Kim met three times with former President Donald Trump, who boasted of stopping a war but failed to reach an overall agreement to end North Korea’s nuclear program.
The Biden administration has said it is willing to meet with North Korean officials at any time and without prior preconditions in its efforts to seek disarmament.
In 2017, it tested missiles that could reach the entire continental United States and carried out its most powerful nuclear explosion to date.