Northern Irish mother provides update on toddler with Toxic Shock Syndrome after second-degree burns from a cup of tea

Author: | Posted in UK No comments

A skin graft will be required for a baby who has Toxic Shock Syndrome as a result of second-degree burns from a cup of tea.

Thirteen-month-old Ewan Mayers was lingering in the kitchen at his New York home. new Wednesday, November 10, is the day of the terrible accident.

Her 22-year-old mother, Lucy, was making tea while her 37-year-old husband, Mike, was in the kitchen. Lucy set the mug of hot water on a towel as she went to get the milk from the refrigerator.

Anne said: “As I walked away, Ewan tugged lightly on the tea towel, which was enough for the mug to fly off the counter.

“It all happened so quickly and you never think it will happen on your own, we are always very careful.

“At first I didn’t quite understand what was going on. I just remember Mike screaming and then saying he was going to take him into the shower as he flew up the stairs. It felt like a lifetime for me to understand what happened, but I immediately picked up my phone and dialed 999. Everything was blurry and All I remember was Ewan screaming in the shower.”

Ewan sustained second-degree burns on his upper arm, shoulder and neck.



Ewan's burns
Ewan’s burns

The toddler was taken to Daisy Hill Hospital, where his injuries were bandaged and he was given pain relievers. The family was home within four hours with a follow-up appointment scheduled at Belfast’s Royal Hospital for Sick Children on Friday.

Lucy said Ewan was very sleepy for the rest of the day, but on Thursday morning she realized something didn’t seem right.

She said: “She suddenly got a fever, so I took her straight to Daisy Hill and there they took us to the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children and they started her on antibiotics and strong painkillers right away.”

Doctors said Ewan showed symptoms of Toxic Shock Syndrome, a rare but life-threatening condition caused by bacteria entering the body and releasing harmful toxins.

Ewan still needs to finish antibiotic treatment for TSS but is making a good recovery.

But on Saturday night, the family received the news that Ewan had to undergo a skin graft, a surgical procedure in which skin is removed from one area of ​​the body to another.

Lucy said the couple were “devastated” by this news.



Lucy, Mike and Ewan Mayers
Lucy, Mike and Ewan Mayers

“I’m terrified of having surgery, but I know he’s in very safe hands and that’s what’s best for his recovery,” she said.

Ewan will have surgery on Friday, November 19. Meanwhile, the family is “excited” to be able to bring Ewan home after a few days in the hospital.

His mother said: “We couldn’t be more grateful for the care he received and for our teeny man to be such a warrior.”

Speaking of the aftermath, Lucy said, “I’ll be honest, we deal with a lot of guilt and I still don’t feel like we have time to process things. She’s overly focused on Ewan’s recovery.

“We keep thinking about how a one-second mistake hurt our son so much and how we should be more conscious and careful. It doesn’t help if we get some backlash from people saying it’s all our fault. And we’re being negligent, we’re beating ourselves up enough by events before others get in the way. .



Ewan and his father Mike on the way home from the hospital
Ewan and his father Mike on the way home from the hospital

“I have to say that I am extremely proud to call Mike my husband and Ewan’s father, because his quick reaction when he put Ewan in a cold shower saved it from getting that much worse.

“Ewan’s doing so well. He’s made us both really proud. Definitely a bit of a warrior! He’s still not 100% but I have no doubt he’ll be back to his cheeky and cute little self when we get home.” !”

.