Home Latest News prosecutors seeking a 30-year sentence for Chauvin; Defense asks for probation

prosecutors seeking a 30-year sentence for Chauvin; Defense asks for probation

16
0

Associated Press’ writes Amy S. Forlity: “Prosecutors are seeking a 30-year sentence for the former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murder in the death of George Floyd, but a defense attorney is asking that Derek Chauvin be sentenced to probation and already servedAccording to court documents filed on Wednesday. Chauvin is to be sentenced on June 25 after pleading guilty to manslaughter and manslaughter charges. Judge Peter Cahill had previously ruled that there were serious factors in Floyd’s death. This gives him the discretion to sentence Chauvin above the limit recommended by state guidelines, which tops out at 15 years. … Defense attorney Eric Nelson cited Chauvin’s age, lack of criminal record, and the support of family and friends in requesting a sentence of probation and time off. He said Chauvin, 45, was the product of a ‘broken’ system.

MPR Tim Pugmire reports, “With a special session coming up in the middle of the month, Republicans in the House and Senate are putting pressure on the DFL government. Tim Walz to end the emergency powers he first declared a year agoBut a spokesman for Walz says the powers-that-be are still needed. Republicans say the COVID-19 emergency is over and Walz should no longer be able to act on cases without legislative consent. Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazalka, R-East Gul Lake, said Wednesday that Republican bills introduced last month, including one passed by the Senate, would end the emergency in an orderly manner.

KSTP-TV’s Brandi Powell writes: “The 6-year-old was remembered by family, friends and the entire community on Wednesday. Ania Allen was shot while riding in the back of a car and died a few days later. On Wednesday, loved ones gave their last farewell at the Shiloh Temple in Minneapolis. Ania Allen’s mother said that she hopes people will remember all the positive things her daughter has brought into the world…. Ania’s final resting place will be at Lakewood Cemetery. Funeral organizers say the family wanted him to stay near Lake Bade Maka Ska. They say that is the last place Alan was playing. “

Tom Olsen reports, in the Duluth News Tribune, “A Donald Trump supporter who was seen in a video hitting a photojournalist before the final fall of the then-president’s Duluth rally has pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge.. Duane Waldriff, 71, of Lamberton, Minnesota, pleaded for a count of disorderly conduct in a virtual hearing Friday in State District Court in Duluth. WCCO-TV photojournalist Dimanh Choun was recording Waldriff as he confronted a group of protesters ahead of Trump’s visit at Duluth International Airport on September 30.

In Star Tribune, Jana Hollingsworth and David La Vaqueu Say, “Mike Randolph, one of the state’s most successful high school hockey coaches, has resigned amid investigations. Duluth School District spokeswoman Katie Kaufman on Wednesday confirmed the resignation of Randolph, who coached the Duluth East boys’ hockey team for 32 years. In response to a records request filed by the Star Tribune in early May, the district said Tuesday that an investigation into Duluth East Hockey Coach by outside firm Turch & Associates, a human resources consulting firm in Duluth, was underway. The nature of the investigation resulting from the complaints was not disclosed. Randolph’s attorney, Tim Andrews, declined to comment on Wednesday, but said Randolph was expected to hold a news conference on Friday.

The article continues after the advertisement

In Pioneer Press, Josh Varghese writes: “A Watertown man was sentenced on Wednesday to 12½ years in prison for fatally shooting another driver after a May 2020 traffic accident. Anthony Trifiletti, 25, claimed self-defense in the death of 39-year-old Douglas Cornelius Lewis, who was shot after an argument following a minor collision near US Highway 61 and Burns Avenue in St. The first trial in March resulted in a false trial, but in April a second jury convicted Trifiletti of second-degree unintentional manslaughter. … Ramsey County District Judge Thomas Gilligan Jr. said the state Supreme Court rejected the notion that a defendant was entitled to leniency because some element of self-defense was present.

For MPR, Report by Kirsti Marohn, “State Human Rights Department A settlement was reached with the company that operates the Minnesota Renaissance Festival over an alleged workplace sexual assault. The department says the Mid-America Festivals Corporation violated state civil rights law by failing to provide a safe work environment free of sexual harassment and harassment. An investigation found probable cause that the festival’s artistic director raped a freelance photographer on the festival grounds in Shakopee in 2017. It also determined that the festival had an ineffective sexual harassment policy that was repeatedly violated by the artistic director.

WCCO-TV says: “A Vezzata man faces more than three years in prison for his role in burning down a Wells Fargo bank in South Minneapolis amid last year’s unrest following the death of George Floyd. Thirty-year-old Mark Gonzales was sentenced Wednesday to 37 months in prison, followed by three years of supervised release, according to a release from the US Attorney’s Office. Gonzales pours gasoline at a Wells Fargo bank at 3030 Nicollet Avenue South on May 28, 2020, while others chant ‘burn it,’ according to the attorney’s office.

on the hill Rachel Frazin and John Kruzel say:, “A federal judge in South Dakota on Wednesday denied a bid by the state’s Republican Gov. Christie Noem to set up a fireworks display at Mount Rushmore to celebrate Independence Day. His request for a permit was denied by the Biden administration. In a 36-page ruling, U.S. District Judge Roberto Lang declined to enter a preliminary judgment in Noem’s favor, finding that his lawsuit against federal officials was unlikely to ultimately prevail.

in The Daily Beast Will Sommer and Ashwin Suebsang Tell us, “There’s a notion on Donald Trump’s mind now that he might return to the White House in August. But the two-time impeached former president doesn’t seem to be getting this idea from constitutional scholars or his lawyers. Instead, MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell clearly inspired him. “If Trump is saying August, it’s probably because he heard me say it publicly,” Lindell told The Daily Beast on Wednesday. … two people close to Trump told The Daily Beast, the former president had begun questioning confidants about a possible August return to power. Furthermore, he claimed that a lot of ‘highly respected’ people—whom Trump did not name—are saying it is possible. Both these sources said that they decided not to tell the former president what they were thinking, which was not going to happen.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. The facts and opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of knews.uk and knews.uk does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.

For latest entertainment news| health news| political news| sports news| travel news| Covid-19 news| Tech news| Digital Marketing| Lyrics

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.