LONDON (AP) — Queen Elizabeth Buckingham Palace said on Sunday it missed the Sunday Commemoration in London to pay tribute to those who died in the war for Britain because it sprained II’s back.
The ritual is one of the most important events in the 95-year-old monarch’s calendar, and he had to appear in public for the first time after taking a few weeks off to rest at the doctor’s orders.
British media reported that it was believed that the back sprain was not related to the recent medical advice that led to other revocations.
A few hours before the ceremony, officials said, “The Queen has twisted her back and it is with great sadness that this morning she has decided that she will not be able to attend the Sunday Memorial Service at the Cenotaph.” “His Majesty is disappointed to miss the service.”
The Queen spent a night in a London hospital last month after being admitted for medical tests. It was the first such stay in eight years. On October 29, the palace said he was told by doctors to rest for two weeks and only take light duties.
Scotland has canceled its plans to attend the UN climate summit in Glasgow, but has sent a video message.
However, officials stressed that “the queen’s firm intention remains” to be present for the national Memorial Sunday service at the time. Buckingham Palace on Thursday said the monarch plans to watch the ceremony at the Cenotaph war memorial in central London from a balcony, as it has for several years.
Queen, II. He served as an army driver and mechanic in World War II and is the head of Britain’s armed forces. It pays great attention to Memorial Market, a solemn ceremony to remember the sacrifices made by fallen soldiers and women. Following Armistice Day, November 11, the national ceremony is traditionally celebrated with the wearing of poppies and a national two-minute silence observed at 11 o’clock.
On Sunday, other royalty and politicians presided over the ceremony in London’s Whitehall, with hundreds of military personnel and veterans lined up around the Cenotaph monument. Things have returned to normal for the first time since the pandemic began.
After Royal Marine thieves sang “The Last Message,” 73-year-old Prince Charles laid the first wreath in the queen’s name, as he has done since 2017. Other royalty and Prime Minister Boris Johnson followed.
The Queen continued to work from home, doing desk duties during her rest period. He spent most of his time at Windsor Castle in west London, despite making a weekend visit to the royal family’s eastern England estate, Sandringham.
He missed many other events, including the Memorial Festival at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday. Officials also said he would miss the opening of the General Synod, which runs the Church of England, on Tuesday.
Royal biographer Penny Junor said the queen’s reign could enter a new era where she won’t be seen much in public.
“It’s very sad for the Queen, because this is the only event she really, really likes to be at this year,” she said. “We’re so used to seeing him out there and looking younger than him, that I think we get carried away thinking he can go on like this forever. He clearly can’t.”
Elizabeth, Britain’s longest-lived and longest-reigning monarch, will celebrate her Platinum Jubilee next year, marking her 70th year on the throne.