May 7, 2021

Knews

Your News Buddy

Quick facts: What you need to know about head and neck cancer

Medically evaluated by Dr. Sarah Isabel Pie.

Cancer, which accounts for about 4% of all cancers in the United States, is more common in people over the age of 50.

What is head and neck cancer?

Head and neck cancers start in cells in the nasal passages, sinuses, lips, mouth, salivary glands, throat, or lymph nodes (also called the vocal cords).

Where is head and neck cancer?

  • The oral cavityLips, two-thirds of the front of the tongue, gums, lining of the cheeks and lips, lower part of the mouth (lower part of the tongue) and strong tongue (top of bone).
  • Franks: Starting at the back of the nose and ending at the top of the windpipe and esophagus. Cancer can occur in the nasopharynx (upper part of the throat, behind the nose), oropharynx (middle part of the throat, behind the mouth), or the hypopharynx (lower part of the throat).
  • Larinx: Participate in breathing, making sounds, and breathing while breathing, and voting.
  • Paranasal sinuses and nasal passagesThe paranasal sinuses are small spaces in the frontal bones around the nose. The nasal cavity is an empty space in the nose.
  • Salivary glands-The salivary glands and the main salivary glands are located on the floor of the mouth and cheek area.

What are the risk factors for head and neck cancer?

Smoking and alcohol abuse are two of the most important risk factors. People who use tobacco and alcohol are more likely to develop these cancers than those who use tobacco or alcohol alone. At least 75% Head and neck cancer is caused by tobacco and alcohol use. The remaining 25% are head and neck cancer Human papillomavirus (HPV)Especially HPV16 and HPV18.

other Risk factors include:

  • Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
  • Chewing betel nut or pan
  • Poor oral health / hygiene
  • Lack of nutrition in vegetables and herbs
  • Weakened immune system
  • Exposure to toxic substances in the workplace
  • Radiation therapy in the chest or lower abdomen
  • Ultraviolet light from the sun or sweet beds
  • Epstein-Barr virus infection

What are the symptoms?

Symptoms may include the following

  • A swelling in the neck, jaw or mouth
  • Unexplained ulcers in the mouth
  • Sore throat or neck pain
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Changes in sound or noise
  • White or red coating on the gums, tongue or mouth
  • Abnormal bleeding or pain in the mouth and dental problems or discomfort
  • Difficulty breathing or speaking
  • Chronic sinus infections that do not respond to antibiotics
  • Swelling below the cheek or around the cheek, numbness or paralysis of the face, or pain in the face, chin or neck

How is head and neck cancer diagnosed?

Diagnosis of head and neck cancer usually begins with a physical examination by your healthcare provider (HPP). The diagnostic tests used include anesthesia, ultrasound, CT scan or P. If abnormalities are found, a biopsy will be performed if there are abnormalities or cancer cells.

What are my treatment options?

The treatment depends on many factors, including the exact location of the tumor, the stage of the cancer and your age and general health. Options may include surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, immunizations, or a combination of these treatments.

How can I reduce my risk?

  • Discuss ways to reduce or Stop using tobacco With your HCP
  • Limit alcohol consumption
  • Schedule regular dental visits
  • Take good care of your teeth to avoid tobacco and alcohol-containing substances
  • Use sunscreen, including on the lips, and avoid mixing beds
  • Practice and find safe sex HPV vaccine
  • Wear protective face masks or additional personal protective equipment if exposed to toxic fumes and wood dust

This wealth was created with the support of Mercury.

.