Logan Riely / NBAE via Getty Images
The Houston Rockets held one momentary silence ahead of their home game against the Detroit Pistons following the tragedy at rapper Travis Scott’s Astroworld festival in Houston’s NRG Park last Friday, which left eight people dead and at least 25 others hospitalized.
The Rockets were previously scheduled to host Travis Scott Night on Wednesday in honor of Houston natives, but plans were postponed.
Rocket’s president of business operations, Gretchen Sheirr, spoke with Jonathan Feigen from Houston Chronicle concerning the case.
“After what was a terrible tragedy last week, we felt it would have been insensitive and not the right time for us to move on,” Sheirr said. “Tonight we will honor the victims with a moment of silence to help our community heal.”
The people who died were between 14 and 27 years old (the age of one of them is unknown), according to CNN’s Jason Hanna, Maya Brown and Rosa Flores.
A total of 50,000 people attended the sold-out festival, with a wave of concert-goers hurrying up on stage while Scott performed, causing a crush.
“Once (Scott) started, hell broke loose,” Alexis Guavin, who attended the concert, told CNN. “All that must be 50,000 people ran to the front and compressed it all with the little air that was available.”
Over 300 people were treated at a field hospital near the event, according to CNN.
Per NPR’s Jaclyn Diaz and Bill Chappell receive Scott criticism for not stopping the concert as the situation developed. Trials are on the rise against the 30-year-old, according to the BBC.
Scott has publicly apologized and said he will cover all funeral costs and one month of mental health care for all affected by the tragedy.