Home > Latest News > UK > Stuart Lubbock’s father dies of cancer: Terry Lubbock, 76, has passed away

Stuart Lubbock’s father dies of cancer: Terry Lubbock, 76, has passed away

man’s father Found dead in Michael Barrymore’s swimming pool 20 years ago, he died after battling cancer and never getting justice for his son.

Stuart Lubbock, 31, died in March 2001 at Barrymore’s £2 million estate in Roydon, Essex. The autopsy revealed that he had suffered serious internal injuries that suggested he had been sexually assaulted.

No one has been charged in connection with the death, despite his father Terry, a retired tool maker living in Harlow, has been campaigning for justice for decades.

Mr. Lubbock senior, who said he was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year and would ‘die of a broken heart’, has now passed away at the age of 76.

His friend and publisher, Harry Cichy, announced today that Mr. Lubbock has died and pays homage to the “stubborn” father who “thinks of Stuart every waking hour”.

Mr Cichy said he ‘died sadly because he died knowing that people never knew the truth about what happened’, but said that ‘the struggle for justice will not end’.

Stuart Lubbock’s father dies of cancer: Terry Lubbock, 76, has passed away

Terry Lubbock, whose son Stuart was found dead in the swimming pool of entertainer Michael Barrymore

On March 31, 2001, Mr. Lubbock was attending a party with eight others at Barrymore's luxury home in Roydon.

On March 31, 2001, Mr. Lubbock was attending a party with eight others at Barrymore’s luxury home in Roydon.

“He wanted a new investigation because he felt that in recent years new evidence had emerged to justify a new investigation,” he said.

‘Lawyers are working on this and the fight will continue – I’ll make sure it works too.’

“You don’t come across many people like Terry Lubbock,” he added. His tenacity and determination was unbelievable.

He looked like a mild-mannered man, but had a heart like a lion.

Mr Cichy added: ‘I have known him for 16 years. He thought of Stuart every waking hour, seven days a week.

‘No one could have fought more for their son.’

Terry Lubbock said he would earlier this year. ‘Dying of a broken heart’ as police announced they would not charge a suspect.

Essex Police, along with Detective Superintendent Stephen Jennings, who led the investigation into the murder and indecent assault, respectfully greeted Mr Lubbock and said: The death of Terry Lubbock.

Pictured: Stuart Lubbock

Pictured: Stuart Lubbock

‘Since I first met Terry, when I became the senior investigative officer of Stuart’s murder, I’ve come to know him professionally and personally.

Above all, Terry was a devoted father, loved his son Stuart very much, and understandably never got over not only the tragedy of losing his son, but the fact that – like us – he never stopped looking for answers. About how he met Stuart’s death.

“I know from speaking to him many times that it sometimes felt like an unbearable burden for Terry.

‘For all of us at Essex Police who have had the pleasure of meeting Terry and his family over the years, I know I speak for all of us when I say that we have always been impressed by his dignity and kindness.

Terry’s devotion to his son and his pursuit of justice knew no bounds. He was an example to many of us in his relentless quest for truth and justice.

Our investigation into Stuart’s death will not end with Terry’s – as long as the case remains pending, we will do everything we can to ensure justice for him and his family.

“To that end, we urge all those with knowledge of Stuart’s death to please, now more than ever, do the right thing and come forward.”

A man in his 50s was detained in the north of England in March on suspicion of murder and sexual assault, after Essex Police announced that ‘significant new information’ had emerged.

However, the force acknowledged that “there is insufficient evidence to reach the level where there is a realistic chance of successful prosecution” of the death in March 2001.

Mr. Lubbock, a 76-year-old veteran, made a sad statement that made clear the devastation wrought by indecision.

“Anyone know who killed Stuart Lubbock,” the Twitter message said, accompanied by a photo of the skinny retiree lying in his nursing home.

‘I will die of a broken heart. Stuart was murdered at Michael Barrymore’s former home in Roydon, Essex.

Chief Inspector Stephen Jennings, the senior investigator who took over the case in 2018, insisted the investigation had not been closed.

Barrymore (pictured walking his dog with a friend in West London) was one of Britain's most recognizable stars.

Barrymore (pictured walking his dog with a friend in West London) was one of Britain’s most recognizable stars.

Michael Barrymore's Essex home the morning after Stuart Lubbock's death party

Michael Barrymore’s Essex home the morning after Stuart Lubbock’s death party

However, he added that there was “a huge personal disappointment” in his team.

The autopsy showed that Stuart Lubbock suffered serious internal injuries suggesting he had been sexually assaulted.

Alcohol, ecstasy, and cocaine were found in his bloodstream.

A coroner recorded a clear decision.

Mr. Lubbock, who is divorced and has another son, Kevin, was fighting for a new investigation.

“It was a new investigation that really mattered to him,” said Mr. Cichy.

20/11/18: Michael Barrymore in front of the High Court in London

20/11/18: Michael Barrymore in front of the High Court in London

Essex Police arrested a man in March on suspicion of indecent assault and murder of Stuart Lubbock and released him without charge in August.  Above: Barrymore's former home

Essex Police arrested a man in March on suspicion of indecent assault and murder of Stuart Lubbock and released him without charge in August. Above: Barrymore’s former home

‘He had lost faith in the police.

“Unfortunately, he died not knowing if another investigation would take place.”

Mr Lubbock told reporters in February that he had terminal cancer and that doctors had told him he would live for months.

He made a ‘final appeal’ in April for witnesses to come forward.

“We want former witnesses to come forward and tell the truth,” he said.

‘For me the clock is ticking and time is running out. This will be my last objection.’

Barrymore, now 69 years old, was arrested in 2007 but was never charged with any crime.

He then sued Essex Police, claiming that his wrongful arrest had cost him around £2.5m, but the Court of Appeal judges decided he should receive nominal compensation.

Barrymore’s career exploded after he and his then partner Jonathan Kenney died after spending the night in Harlow.

They went home with a small group of people they met at a club, including the butcher Mr. Lubbock, a divorced father of two.

Barrymore, who later apologized saying he had “paniced” after fleeing before the police arrived, has always denied that he had any knowledge of what had happened.

Seven other guests were present the night Mr. Lubbock died.

Jonathan Kenney

Kenney, 50, from Blackpool, Lancashire, was Barrymore’s boyfriend at the time of Mr Lubbock’s death.

She used to be a drag queen, but more recently worked as a driving test inspector.

Kenney, along with Barrymore, invited seven other guests over to the house after partying together for dinner.Millennium nightclub in Harlow, Essex.

He was one of three people arrested by Essex Police on suspicion of murder in 2007 and was later released without charge.

Justin Merritt

The 46-year-old ex-scavenger Justin was unemployed when he and his sister Kylie returned to Barrymore’s home.

Reports from the time claimed that Justin was an ‘unofficial caregiver’ for the TV star that night.

He had previously walked outside the nightclub towards Barrymore and said, “I’ll take care of you. I’ll be your security to take you home.”

Mr. Merritt claimed to have shared a hot tub with Mr. Lubbock and was last seen “bombing” him alive in the pool and in high spirits.

He, along with Barrymore and Kenney, was arrested on suspicion of murder before eventually being released.

Kylie Merritt

Kylie was Justin’s sister and was with him at the nightclub when Justin offered to be Barrymore’s babysitter for the night.

The brothers shared a taxi back home with Barrymore and Mr. Lubbock.

Ms Merritt would later claim to have seen Mr Lubbock ‘playing’ alone in the swimming pool.

On another occasion, she said she saw Barrymore with two men in a small room next to her bedroom door.

He would also claim that Barrymore had produced cocaine that night and tried to rub the drug into My Lubbock’s gums, which Barrymore denied.

Ms. Merritt took a lie detector test for the News of the World, which showed her dishonesty when asked what had happened that day.

James Futers

Mr Futers, 41, was a chef who lived near Barrymore in Roydon, Essex.

He would tell the court how the TV star had offered him ‘white powder’ shortly after he came home for the party.

He would later add that he believed the drug was cocaine.

Mr Futers had met Barrymore several times before for drinks and ‘playing cards’.

He was at the nightclub with Barrymore that night and had agreed to come back home for an ‘improvised’ meeting.

Simon Shaw

Mr. Shaw had been invited to the party because of his friendship with Barrymore’s neighbor Mr. Futers.

During his testimony in court, he described how he saw Mr Lubbock in the pool and jumped to help him.

She said she tried to pull him up from the bottom of the pool but found it heavy, came back to catch his breath before returning, and successfully lifted him up.

Mr. Shaw later left the house with Mr Futers as he thought ‘what had happened was a bit scary’ and Barrymore joined him.

They all went back to Mr. Shaw’s house, where they talked about what had happened as Barrymore phoned the ‘PR’ man.

Claire Jones and Kelly Campbell

Jones, then a 17-year-old cashier, and her friend Kelly Campbell, now 37, had met Barrymore only hours early at the nightclub when they were invited back to the party.

He would later tell the police how he saw Barrymore. He was going through the drawers and changing his clothes before the police arrived.

Ms. Jones also told police she had ‘stuff’ under her arm when Barrymore left the house.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *