A woman has told of her shock at having lost part of her thumb due to an infection after she got a fake nail glued over an open wound.
Jenneffer Souza, from the Duque de Caxias in Brazil, received a fiberglass nail on top of an incision in a nail salon which led to pain and swelling but she delayed before receiving medical help.
So far, the TikTok star, with almost 76,000 followers, has had two operations on her thumb with part of it now removed, and she remains in hospital.
She has been in the hospital for 13 days and she uses social media to share what is happening and warn others of the dangers of fake nails.
When she eventually received medical help, she received anti-inflammatory drugs and antibiotics and was sent home.
She said: “My nail started to feel sore, but for me it was normal. It was not a big deal.
“After it felt bad, one day my thumb started to swell a lot and I could not work. The next day I went straight to the hospital.”
She had to return to the hospital after her first visit because of the pain and with her thumb that erased pus and began to turn black.
Jenneffer is not out of the wars yet, as she will need further surgery and more antibiotics without a date for when she will be able to leave the hospital.
She said: “I am traumatized. No one imagines managing their nails and dropping their fingertips.”
Doctors believe that she has cellulite, a bacterial skin infection and this can spread to the deeper layers of the skin.