The World Health Organization has issued an emergency use list for a COVID-19 vaccine made by Sinovac in adults 18 years of age and older, the second such authorization it has given to a Chinese company.
In a statement on Tuesday, the United Nations health agency said data submitted to its experts showed that two doses of the vaccine reduced symptoms of COVID-19 in nearly half of those who received the vaccine. Prevented from receiving. The WHO stated that some older adults were enrolled in the research, so it could not predict how effective the vaccine was in people over 60 years of age.
“Nevertheless, WHO is not recommending an upper age limit for the vaccine,” the agency said, adding that data collected from the use of Sinovac in other countries suggests that the vaccine may have a protective effect in older individuals. There is a possibility.
WHO’s authorization means the vaccine can be purchased by donors and other UN agencies for use in poor countries, including the UN-backed initiative to distribute COVID-19 vaccines known globally as COVAX. is.
Last month, the WHO approved the COVID-19 vaccine made by Sinopharm. It also licenses vaccines developed by Pfizer-BioNtech, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna Inc. and AstraZeneca.
COVAX’s effort has been significantly slowed after its largest supplier in India said it would not be able to provide any more vaccines until the end of the year.
To date, there is no firm deal with COVAX for Sinovac dosage.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. The facts and opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of knews.uk and knews.uk does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.